Friday, October 17, 2008

Road Work Ahead, Have a Nice Day!

As I drove my mom home from her first meeting with the oncologist doctors. We saw an electric sign that blinked "Road Work Ahead, Have a Nice Day! and Please Drive Safely." It may seem strange but those words seemed put there expressly for us. Those three phrases some how seemed to fit so well with what the future holds for us. Mom and I both went into these two doctor appointments with great trepidation. We knew that we would find out the results of Mom's CT scan and bone scan. We visited with the radiation doctor first. He was very kind and personable. He told us that the tests were good - no signs of cancer anywhere else in her body - I wanted to shout for joy! I thought - Wow! we have won the game. I should have known not to celebrate to early. The next visit was with the chemo doctor. He took time to explain to us about the kind of cancer Mom has and how although it isn't showing up anywhere else in her body that it almost surely will within a short amount of time especially if left untreated. Even with the most invasive chemo treatment it will most likely return at some point. The simple fact that it was in 14 lymph nodes on her left side assures that. He showed us some computer models that showed her theoretical chances were she to choose different courses of chemo as apposed to nothing at all. None of the models give her a real good chance. Frankly it was really sad and depressing. Mom was really hoping to avoid having to do chemo at all. She is terrified of being so ill that she has to be in a care center. The doctor made it sound as if the chemo she would be doing wouldn't completely incapacitate her. She would loose her hair and be nauseated etc. She is also concerned about how chemo would affect her diabetes and blood pressure. We left the visit without her making a final decision on what course of action to take. I wish more than anything that I could take it all away but of course that is impossible. Needless to say I cried the whole way home. But back to the road signs I mentioned at the beginning of this rather depressing rant. As we were coming up Orem hill we saw that sign blinking at us and I commented that that is just what we have to do. -- We have to realize that there will be "road work" ahead so we should try to "drive safely" through the challenges that we are facing and that through it all we should try each day to "have a nice day!". Mom and I kinda laughed when I said that. It all comes down to how you look at things. I am simply praying that I can have a positive and eternal perspective on these trying times and that Mom can have a peaceful answer to what course of action she should take.

1 comment:

c said...

Best wishes in this difficult journey...

Tags

1st day of school 2013 2014 2015 2016 4th of July 6th grade 6th grade valentine party 8th Activity days day camp Annie Anniversary April Aquarium archery Asher Asher's birthday August awards night backpacking ballroom ballroom dance band band concert baptism basement finished basketball Bean Museum Bear World beauty and the beast Bingo for Books birthday birthdays books Boys Night braces breakfast broken arm broken nose BYU football cabelas camping Charlie chicks children china China vacation choir christmas church clap out Clear Creek cornbellys crazy hair day cub scouts daddy mommy kid dates dance festival date nights dino museum Easter eggs family Father's day February field day firepit fireworks fishing foam day frog from cumorahs hill Frontrunner funnies gingerbread houses girls camp Grandparents gymnastics haircuts halloween hannah Hannah's birthday hapkido health High School Musical 2 High Uintahs hope of america indoor soccer Jackson Hole Jake Carolyn Anniversary January Jax Jeppson family jeremiah johnson JJ Jordan River parkway july June kids Lance Lance Madigan lasik last day of school legacy center legos Lehi Arts Council Lehi Roundup parade Lehi Roundup Rodeo Libby Living Planet Aquarium March May memorial day Mexico Vacation Mother's day Mouse movies Museum of Natural Curiosity musical theater new years ordination pack meeting palisades Payson Lakes payson temple pedicure pets Photos pinewood derby Pioneer day pool pool party preschool Princess Academy play Princess Ball PTA rain read across america recess relief society meeting reviews robotics s'mores Sand Hollow santa Sara school school graduation school year Schoolhouse rock science fair scout camp scouts scrapbooking Shrek sickies smores snow soccer spanish fork lights St. George St. Patricks Day state fair StemFest student of the month summer summer reading surgery swim lessons swimming swimming lessons swingset temple temple square thanksgiving timp cave Tracy Aviary traflga train show travel trip vacation valentines day veterans day work Yellowstone Zellers zoo