Thursday, September 30, 2010

How to be a Klutz

This blog posting is inspired by a conversation I had yesterday with a close friend of mine. Both of us experienced the not so fun aspects of being a klutz this past week. The question I posed to her is this: Why does Bella (of Twilight fame) come off looking adorable, with men (or should I say boys) falling at her feet to save her from her charming tendency to fall down on a regular basis? Granted I did have a few heroic men (highway patrolmen) kindly scrape me up off the ground - sopping wet and bawling- last week. But I am fairly certain that I didn't come off looking adorable and charming -AT ALL! Ah you say you want to hear the story? Well of course you do because it wasn't you who landed on their backside in a rainstorm! My good friend Jamie and I, along with our boys Evan and Asher were waiting not-to-so patiently just inside the doors of In and Out for the rain storm that was dumping cat and dog shaped raindrops to subside enough to allow us to get to our cars without being drenched. The rain lessened just a bit so we decided to run for it. We took about 4 steps out the doors and down the handicap ramp and the lights went out for me. One minute I was upright holding Asher's hand, my purse and my keys and the next minute I was flat on my back, soaking wet and nursing a throbbing head, my keys and purse flung halfway into the parking lot. Silly me, I was wearing flip flops and when they hit the painted stripe on the wet walkway it was like a cartoon character hitting a banana peel. I fell flat on my backside and my head whipped back and hit the concrete. Before I really knew what was happening a couple of cops were helping me sit up and looking in my eyes to see if I had a concussion. They kept offering to call an ambulance or someone to drive me home but at the point I was bawling and just wanted to get home to nurse my wounds (and wounded pride). Asher was very matter of fact about the whole thing - Jamie told him to pick up my purse and keys, which he did and the whole herd of us, including the cops, headed for my car. Jamie was sweet enough to follow me home to make sure I got there ok. I called Lance the moment I got into the car, sobbing the whole time. He happened to be heading home after a meeting in SLC and so he met me there. Aside from being totally embarrassed I had a pretty good sized goose-egg on my head and I ached all over. I still have an ugly black bruise the size of Texas on my butt! The following days I was really sore almost like I had whiplash. It wasn't a fun couple of days. So back to my question - If a fat middle aged woman falls in a parking lot does it make a sound? Only if you are there to hear her pride screaming!

No comments:

Tags

1st day of school 2013 2014 2015 2016 4th of July 6th grade 6th grade valentine party 8th Activity days day camp Annie Anniversary April Aquarium archery Asher Asher's birthday August awards night backpacking ballroom ballroom dance band band concert baptism basement finished basketball Bean Museum Bear World beauty and the beast Bingo for Books birthday birthdays books Boys Night braces breakfast broken arm broken nose BYU football cabelas camping Charlie chicks children china China vacation choir christmas church clap out Clear Creek cornbellys crazy hair day cub scouts daddy mommy kid dates dance festival date nights dino museum Easter eggs family Father's day February field day firepit fireworks fishing foam day frog from cumorahs hill Frontrunner funnies gingerbread houses girls camp Grandparents gymnastics haircuts halloween hannah Hannah's birthday hapkido health High School Musical 2 High Uintahs hope of america indoor soccer Jackson Hole Jake Carolyn Anniversary January Jax Jeppson family jeremiah johnson JJ Jordan River parkway july June kids Lance Lance Madigan lasik last day of school legacy center legos Lehi Arts Council Lehi Roundup parade Lehi Roundup Rodeo Libby Living Planet Aquarium March May memorial day Mexico Vacation Mother's day Mouse movies Museum of Natural Curiosity musical theater new years ordination pack meeting palisades Payson Lakes payson temple pedicure pets Photos pinewood derby Pioneer day pool pool party preschool Princess Academy play Princess Ball PTA rain read across america recess relief society meeting reviews robotics s'mores Sand Hollow santa Sara school school graduation school year Schoolhouse rock science fair scout camp scouts scrapbooking Shrek sickies smores snow soccer spanish fork lights St. George St. Patricks Day state fair StemFest student of the month summer summer reading surgery swim lessons swimming swimming lessons swingset temple temple square thanksgiving timp cave Tracy Aviary traflga train show travel trip vacation valentines day veterans day work Yellowstone Zellers zoo