Now back to the BRIBE! Next we headed over to the good ol Walmart. All three kids had brought their own money to spend. As is typical, JJ picked out something about 5 bucks over the amount of money he had. Now comes the hard part. I really do want him to have the toy he wants but I decided long ago that now is the time for the kids to start learning about living within their means. So when he whines and bargains with me that he will do extra work to make up for the extra money I would have to pay, I say no. I remind him that he can only spend what he has right now, in hand. So in the end he picked something that he liked equally well but cost less. Next we moved on to Hannah. As is typical of her, she has a WAD of money - nearly 50 dollars! She found something that cost way less than what she had and was happy. Asher only had 5 dollars and it is tough to find much in the Lego section that is only 5 bucks. He found something that was just a dollar more and JJ tried to bargain on behalf of Asher but I stuck to my guns and said no. So in the end he too found something that fit within his means. I am hoping that if we keep being consistent that this lesson will stick because it will make a huge difference in their lives if they learn to live with in their means.

Speaking of means, Lance decided to donate his old red Honda to the National Kidney Foundation. Lance used to work there so he knows how much the kidney kars program helps people with kidney disease. My dad passed away due to kidney disease caused by diabetes. So I am also grateful of the great work the NKF does in educating and assisting those with kidney disease. Since we inherited my mother's car a load of worry was taken off our shoulders because the red Honda had some mechanical problems that would cost more than it was worth to fix. Hopefully our donation will help us next spring when tax season comes around and the money that the NKF gets will help someone who is suffering from kidney disease.

3 comments:
I cannot tell you how wise you are. Speaking from the 'cave-in' person I am. I know it's hard, but I wish in the worst way I had done that with my children when they were younger - especially my youngest. We were kind of forced to do that with the older ones because we just didn't have the money to bail them out, but our baby? That's when it gets really hard and I really failed at it. You are a wise mom.
Love the haircuts! And the lessons, it's never to early to learn about financial responsivility. If more
Mom's had taught this lesson, our country wouldn't be in the situation we are in...
I think J.J. looks great with that haircut! And I think you did great with teaching them to live within their means. It's such a hard lesson to teach, but one of the most important.
Post a Comment