February was bitter cold and brought several big snow storms. I don't think we are going to be hurting for water in the mountains this year. In fact I am wondering if there will be flooding this spring. February marks a bittersweet milestone for us. One year since my mom passed away. The sting of her passing is easing but the ache of missing her remains for me. Every day of this past year I have thought about her and wished she was still here for me to talk to and spend time with. She truly was my best friend even when we didn't see eye to eye or frustrated each other. There have been so many moments where I almost picked up the phone to call her only to remember that she's not there. Lots of people tell me things like "oh she is still watching over you". But I just haven't felt that way. There is a huge void in my life without her and nothing can really fill that spot. My kids miss her greatly too. All year Asher has talked about her, remembering things about her and things they did together. JJ and Hannah have been less verbal but both have talked about missing her at different times. Often when Hannah is sad she goes in her room and wraps up in a particular blanket that was my mom's and tries to seek comfort in that. I thought about doing something in special to mark the day of her passing but decided for my own emotional stability I needed to treat the day like any other. I would rather celebrate her life with happy memories of her, rather than her death. That day was not one I like to relive although there was a certain amount of peace and comfort that came that day. Maybe it was fitting that she passed so close to Valentine's Day. She truly loved her family with a fierceness that I am not sure all of us still completely comprehend.
Here are some other happenings in February that I want to remember:
Asher was so proud to share his painting of the solar system. I love that he included BYU on it!
This is Hannah's best friend Abbie. She came over for a late night and they played dress ups and put on a "play". Asher was a good sport and played the prince in their play.
Yet another photo of Jax! He was the most annoying puppy for the first year of his life but as he turned 1 he has morphed into a sweet, albeit somewhat over enthusiastic, member of the family. I keep thinking that the kid's interest in him will wear off but it hasn't yet. They love him more everyday and still fight over him.
Our family weathered one of the most heinous experiences I have ever had to deal with. Hannah came home from school with lice. Not just the eggs, full grown, wiggly, disgusting critters crawling around her hair. We tore her room apart and cleaned everything. Washed all her clothes, including the clean clothes in her drawers. We boxed and bagged up everything we couldn't sanitize of her stuff and even much of the boys' stuff. We washed all the bedding for everyone's beds. It was quite an undertaking. I was never more grateful for Lance. He took a bunch of the really bulky items (pillows etc) to a laundromat (FYI there is no laundromat that we could find here in our town, he had to go two towns over to find one). I treated all the kids hair and my own (since she and I use the same brushes). We didn't find lice on anyone else's hair but hers. I found out that I am allergic to the anti lice shampoo. It gave me an asthma-like attack. I had to treat Hannah's hair a second time the day after because I still found live ones. I have since scoured her head for any sign of them pretty much every day (it's now been about 3 1/2 weeks so I am pretty sure we got it taken care of). I keep having Lance check mine because just thinking about it makes my head itch! Thankfully he never found anything. I think that she must have gotten it from hanging her winter coat close to someone else's coat who had it. That is the only explanation I can come up with. The coat hangers are only about an inch apart from each other so all the heavy winter coats have to be smooshed in together. It was a horrible experience for Hannah, me and Lance. Hannah hated missing school but I wouldn't let her go back until I was absolutely sure she was free of creepy crawlies. We have kept it on the down low because we didn't want people to be mean to her because of it (even though it is in no way her fault). I debated whether to even mention it here but it was a big part of what happened to our family this month and hopefully no one will judge us harshly because we fell victim to the vermin.
This is her on one of the days she was home from school and feeling really sad. She said Jax snuggling with her made her feel better.
One of mine and Lance's favorite things to do is to double date with our good friends the Zellers. It really doesn't matter what we end up doing because there is always great conversation and lots of laughs. This month we headed up to City Creek with them to order a new suit for Lance at Mr. Mac and then ate at Cheesecake Factory. It was super delish. I highly recommend the Bang Bang Shrimp! And of course the cheesecakes were divine. These pictures don't do them justice. My phone battery was almost dead so this was the best I could get.
I made the kids school valentines again this year. I am not sure it ended up being that much cheaper but it was fun.
This is JJ's - it says Aww . . . looks like someone needs a "pug"! I used a picture I took of Jax on one snowy day. JJ was ecstatic that everyone in his class would get to see his pug. On Valentine's day I helped out in Asher's class party and then later JJ's class party. As we were heading home we saw our interim principal (our other principal fell recently and broke her leg and later found out that she has cancer, so sad.) Mr. Miller in the hall and JJ ran up to give him one of his left over valentines. Come to find out - Mr. Miller has a female pug name Roxy. It was quite the bonding moment for JJ. He LOVES Mr. Miller, and I must say that I think everybody at the school feels the same. He is great. I hope we get to keep him.
This is a terrible picture of Asher's valentine but it says Valentine, you are just write! He helped cut out the hearts and tape them on the pencils.
This is Hannah's - her says Make no mistake you are my favorite valentine! That is an eraser glued to the paper. I found out I had to use tacky glue because glue dots didn't work.
JJ's class had to make valentine boxes and then they were "judged" at their valentine party. We helped JJ do this really simple shoe box turned in to a Lego brick! He was pretty happy with it but it was no where near as elaborate as some of the boxes I saw. I have no idea how much time some of those parents put into making boxes!
For Lance I got a BYU hoodie and a book and some candy. He brought this vase of my favorite kind of roses and a balloon and a card to work which was so special! He also got me a "happy light" to help me get through these dreary late winter days.
Something about this picture of Hannah practicing piano just gets to my heart. I am so proud of my kids desire to learn new things.
If I didn't know this dog I would swear he was getting mauled to death by a 6 year old but honestly he "laps" up the attention and comes back for more over and over. He is a people loving dog. He really wants to be with us (preferably on us) all the time. The kids take turns having him sleep in their beds at night. When he can't find a person to snuggle with he tries snuggling with the cats (that doesn't work out in his favor most of the time) or with Abby (who still gets annoyed with him but is tolerating him more unless he has her favorite blue rope toy, then all bets are off)
A couple of my besties (Leslie and Michal) did dinner with me one evening this month. Both of these amazing girls have lost a parent and are very aware of many of my feeling dealing with the loss of my mom. We decided to go to a place that Michal had been to before and liked called Shabu Shabu in Orem. I was really intrigued by the concept. There are four pots of boiling water built into the table and each of us ordered different things to cook in our own pot of water. It was pretty tasty until we notice a bug walking on the table and then a second one. Ya, they were cockroaches. SOOOOOO gross! We killed the ones on our table and showed the waitress, she was chagrined but did NOTHING. She didn't even take any money off our bill. Needless to say we won't be going there again and I wouldn't be surprised if the place goes out of business pretty darn quick. I saw a third cockroach on the floor as we were leaving.
In other crazy occurrences at our house our cat Bo decided that the small plastic container in the kitchen cabinet was a good place to take his afternoon nap. The dogs tried to tell me but I don't speak dog.

Jake and Carolyn invited the kids over to take advantage of the snow while it lasted on the slope down to their walk out basement this month. The kids had a blast and thankfully no one rammed into the columns at the bottom of the hill. The following is a video I took of Jake sledding with the kids. I don't think he ever grew up! Amazing memory for the kids - they are so proud of their heart transplant grandpa who isn't afraid of a little snow or a brick column or two.
Jax loves a good patch of sunshine so this boy decided to lay down with him.
Here's wishing and hoping for sunshine and warm breezes to come and stay for a good long time! (looks like I got my wish at least for the first day of March!)
























2 comments:
Been there done that with the lice thing. Danielle got it in 1st, 2nd and 5th grade. It freaks me out and is so much work to deal with...and a little humbling too. Glad you're over it. I'm an expert now!
What a month for you! Looks like you had about 35 days packed into the short 28. Of course there isn't a soul out there who would think one thing about the lice. Certainly not anyone who has children. We all know how easy it is to pick up things like that from school. Just feel bad you had to go through it all. Love the photo of her with Jax.
I watch you and Leslie and the way you continue on in spite of huge missing holes in your hearts. I am so worried about the day my own and Brent's parents pass away because I love them all so much and still, at 60, depend on them for support and strength. I don't think there is a person alive who can take the place of a good parent, and it has to be such a tremendous challenge to move on without them. You know your Mom is near, but knowing that doesn't make it any easier to feel her presence. My heart goes out to you. May God continue to help you find peace in your heart.
Terrific valentines! You are such a creative family. And I loved the lego valentine box. What a cute idea!
Post a Comment