Monday, August 23, 2010

Get Ready Set GO!

I can't believe that the kids start school this week. I am excited for the new challenges they will face and all the things they will learn. I do love the beginning of school - there is so much promise and excitement in the beginning of something new. I will miss having them around (I know! Amazing huh?) They really do make my life so much better just by being in it.

We went to the County Fair on Saturday with my mom. I confess I was a little disappointed but I know you really can't compare it to the State Fair. It was sweltering hot but the kids still had fun and my mom really enjoyed herself. She was the main reason we went. I knew she really wanted to go. She doesn't get out much these days but when she does it is amazing the difference in her spirits. She was so happy!

I decided to create a schedule poster to help us stay on task. Hannah is the main reason I thought this was important to do. In the mornings she has a tendency to just stare off into space until someone reminds her what she is supposed to do next. Maybe this won't make a difference but I am willing to give it a try.

I have read my self hoarse the last couple of days. We are nearing the end of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. It is pretty exciting! JJ begs me to read and read. I admit I am enjoying re-reading it as much as he is hearing it for the first time! I figure we won't have as much time to read after school starts so I want to finish this book by tomorrow. Reading out loud takes so much more time than reading to your self. I am also reading The Mysterious Benedict Society which is pretty good but pales in such close comparison to Harry Potter. I really should wait to read it when I am not also reading a Harry Potter book but it is on loan from a friend and I don't want to keep it forever.

JJ and Hannah have each had their first soccer practice. They are both going to be sporting green uniforms. JJ's is neon green and Hannah's is forest green. I am happy that Hannah will be practicing at Bandwagon and playing her games at Lehi Elementary - we could walk to her practices and games if we wanted to. JJ will be practicing and playing at Freedom Elementary which is within walking distance of Jake and Carolyn's house. None of their games conflict this time but one practice conflicts with a game and one of Hannah's games is on JJ's birthday. One game also conflicts with our Back to School Night. Oh well that is the way it goes as the kids get older. We are going to through Hannah's dance class into the mix too when we get the info on signing her up. I know that this makes things busy for us but I like the kids doing stuff rather than sitting home watching TV. There has to be a balance between keeping busy and being so busy that more important things get forgotten. Every family has their own way of striking that balance.

So today's key word is: (drum roll please) BALANCE. How do we achieve and maintain it in this hectic crazy world?

1 comment:

Shenna said...

You'll have to let me know how your schedule things works out...I've been mulling over quite a few ideas the last few weeks on how to improve behavior, consistency, keeping up on stuff, etc. and its making me crazy trying to figure out the best way to do it! Good luck!

Tags

1st day of school 2013 2014 2015 2016 4th of July 6th grade 6th grade valentine party 8th Activity days day camp Annie Anniversary April Aquarium archery Asher Asher's birthday August awards night backpacking ballroom ballroom dance band band concert baptism basement finished basketball Bean Museum Bear World beauty and the beast Bingo for Books birthday birthdays books Boys Night braces breakfast broken arm broken nose BYU football cabelas camping Charlie chicks children china China vacation choir christmas church clap out Clear Creek cornbellys crazy hair day cub scouts daddy mommy kid dates dance festival date nights dino museum Easter eggs family Father's day February field day firepit fireworks fishing foam day frog from cumorahs hill Frontrunner funnies gingerbread houses girls camp Grandparents gymnastics haircuts halloween hannah Hannah's birthday hapkido health High School Musical 2 High Uintahs hope of america indoor soccer Jackson Hole Jake Carolyn Anniversary January Jax Jeppson family jeremiah johnson JJ Jordan River parkway july June kids Lance Lance Madigan lasik last day of school legacy center legos Lehi Arts Council Lehi Roundup parade Lehi Roundup Rodeo Libby Living Planet Aquarium March May memorial day Mexico Vacation Mother's day Mouse movies Museum of Natural Curiosity musical theater new years ordination pack meeting palisades Payson Lakes payson temple pedicure pets Photos pinewood derby Pioneer day pool pool party preschool Princess Academy play Princess Ball PTA rain read across america recess relief society meeting reviews robotics s'mores Sand Hollow santa Sara school school graduation school year Schoolhouse rock science fair scout camp scouts scrapbooking Shrek sickies smores snow soccer spanish fork lights St. George St. Patricks Day state fair StemFest student of the month summer summer reading surgery swim lessons swimming swimming lessons swingset temple temple square thanksgiving timp cave Tracy Aviary traflga train show travel trip vacation valentines day veterans day work Yellowstone Zellers zoo