We have a new member of our brood - Buttercup. My mom decided to hop of the "chick wagon" and went to IFA to buy a chick to add to our chicks. IFA had no idea what breed the chicks were so I went online and figured out that the one my mom bought is a rare breed called a Sicilian Buttercup. All of the chickens of the breed in the US can be traced back to the original group of eggs that were brought over from Sicily in 1835. She isn't a variety I would gone out of my way to get because she will only lay about 2 eggs a week and they will be small but she is a unusual looking chick and should grow into a beautiful bird that we could possibly use as a "show bird". I am a bit concerned that everything I have read says they are not very cold hardy but we will just have to do our best to keep her warm next winter. This is what she looks like now and what she will eventually look like:


JJ's chick is a Plymouth Barred Rock. My mother told me that she had this kind of chicken when she was growing up. This chick is currently the tallest of the group. This is Black Hole now and what she will look like when she full grown:


Asher's chick is called a Black Star. These are breed so that the male and female eggs are different colors for easy sorting. This chick is one of the friendliest so far. Here is what she looks like now and what she will eventually grow to look like:


My chick is Jane and she is as feisty as her namesake! She is a Silver Laced Wyandotte - one of the websites I read said " The hens look as if they're ladies dressed for a fancy ball!" So I think her name fits her to a T! This is what she looks like now and what she will grow up to look like:


Next we have Goldie, Hannah's chick. Goldie is a Buff Orpington. Hannah's chick is one of the most friendly of the group and will come right up to the opening of the brooder even when the door is open. She seems to have such a sweet easy going personality - just like our Hannah! This is what she looks like now and what she will look like later:


Lance's chick is an Australorp - it is a breed that originated in Australia. It's feathers will have green and purple tints in the sun. Lance named it Roc after a mythical bird. This is what she looks like now and later:


The kids check on the chicks multiple times throughout the day. They really love them already. I am really hoping that they all survive and thrive for us. I never thought I would be able to have my own flock of chickens but it has been a dream for me since I was in elementary school. It is my hope that we can learn from this experience not only how to care for chickens but to be more self sufficient and "green" by composting and using the all the byproducts provided by the chickens!
1 comment:
Wow...I've never actually thought about having chicks. Let me know how it goes! :)
Post a Comment