I am the first to admit that I am not the greatest cook out there. I can do the basic stuff and follow a pretty simple recipe. Lately I have been trying to include more of the fresh veggies that are in season here to our diet. The kids (and sometimes Lance) are pretty resistant to the idea of straying from our 4 or 5 typical veggies - corn, peas, broccoli, cauliflower and lettuce. This month I have tried out eggplant with out much success. Granted it was from the store and probably not the freshest but it was a huge bomb. The last few years we have grown zucchini and yellow squash - both of which I love. Lance is not a fan of squash in any form so I am the one who eats all that we get off our plants unless I give some to a family member or friend. Growing up my mom cooked with a pretty wide variety of fresh veggies so I have tried a lot more than Lance and the kids, therefore I am much more open to trying even more new ones. I have come to the conclusion that for the time being I can't push too hard on the veggies so I am putting more effort in to disguising them. I have a favorite recipe that I got from one of those "ward cook books" called Zucchini Rice casserole. I have successfully gotten the whole family to ingest at least a few bites of zucchini and tomato using this recipe. I personally LOVE it and would have it every night but I know that wouldn't go over too big. Tonight I wanted to use some of the fresh squash and zucchini from our garden and chicken so I decided to kind of wing it with out a recipe. It is rare for me to be that bold but I am proud to say that we all liked the results.
Here is how I made it:
First I sauteed/steamed about 10 frozen chicken tenderloins in a little bit of evoo. When they were pretty close to cooked through I added the veggies I wanted to use. In this case it was 1 yellow squash and 1 zucchini from my garden, half an onion sliced thin, 1 bag of partially steamed frozen broccoli and cauliflower and one fresh tomato chopped. While these were cooking in the sauce pan I started my spaghetti and cooked it until it was al dente. When the veggies were cooked but still crisp I added the drained spaghetti to the pan. I next poured a bottle of Ragu Alfredo sauce (I like this brand because it has the least amount of sodium). I mixed it until everything was coated with sauce and added a little shredded mozzarella and Parmesan cheese to the mix and it was done! It was super yummy and the veggies were totally hidden. Delish!
No comments:
Post a Comment