Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Finding Peace

I wasn't looking forward to today. Last week we began the process of finding out if my mom has breast cancer. She found a lump a while back and let it go, hoping that it was just a cyst (something she is prone to). It got larger quickly and she mentioned it to me and I encouraged her to get a mammogram. She waited until all the weddings were done to have it checked out. Yesterday was the biopsy and today the 1st meeting with the surgeon. We feel really lucky to have gotten her into a young doctor named Jennifer Titensor. She is the best from what we have heard. She is also treating a friend of mine who goes in for her double mastectomy on October 1st. This doctor actually made time to see her before she left on vacation after viewing her mammogram and sonogram. Seems like I have been crying off and on since last Friday. I know mentally that life isn't fair and that bad things happen to good people - all the cliches have occurred to me as I have wrestled with my thoughts and emotions over the last few days. The cliches are not comforting at all when you get right down to it. I do, however, hope for some good things to come out of this experience. I hope that this brings our family closer together, that we are reminded of the important role my mom has played and is playing in each of our lives. I know that this experience will be further evidence of her great faith and her love for each of us despite our faults.
Back to today, we met with Dr. Titensor for the 1st time. She confirmed out fears that it is indeed breast cancer and that it is also in the lymph nodes in her arm pit. The doctor's proposed course of action is to first for my mom to have an MRI while the doctor is on vacation for a week. Next she will go in for surgery on the 29th of September to have a single mastectomy removal of the lymph nodes on that side. I suppose this could change if the MRI shows the cancer in other areas of her body. Following surgery she will most likely do radiation. Chemo is not currently planned unless absolutely necessary. Her prognosis sounds good if everything goes according to plan. The one cliche that does apply seems to be "taking it one day at a time". In the midst of this the routines of the kids had to go on and Jake and Carolyn have been wonderful about taking care of them whenever I needed to go with Mom. I explained to JJ what was happening and he is taking it really well. I think he really understands most of what we are saying from the questions he is asking. Mom and I did our best to not frighten him as we discussed it. We discussed prayer yesterday in FHE in hopes that as difficult things come into the kids lives that they will be able to talk to Heavenly Father and gain comfort and peace.
For book club this month we are reading The Magic of Ordinary Days by Ann Howard Keel. It was a perfect read for me this month - it's mood fit mine exactly. I really enjoyed it. I have started traditional scrapbooking again - it takes me a day to do one page. It feels good to use my hands and concentrate on something creative.
I keep thinking at least I don't have to go through another day like today. Waiting and wondering, finding out the worst and then finding a ray of hope too. On a lighter note - Asher decided to spread lotion all over the kitchen floor today! He sure is trouble!

5 comments:

Cari said...

It seems like these things always happen to the best people, probably because they have the fortitude and positive attitude to give the rest of us hope in our own trials. We'll keep your mom in our prayers, and hope for the best!

Andrea said...

I am so sorry to hear about your mom. We will keep all of you in our prayers!

michelle said...

Sara,
My mom told me about Grandma a few days ago and I immediately thought that it really isn't fair- how many trials does one person have to go through?! It seems like our family is having trial after trial. And Grandma has dealt with them her entire life. But then I realized what a bad attitude that was and I am going to be positive and now it is Grandma's turn to be the one being taken care of instead of her doing it for everyone else. One of my friend's from high school is in chemo right now. She found out she had breast cancer when she was 8 months pregnant with her 3rd child and delivered her baby early and immediately had surgery and started chemo. It seems like everywhere I turn someone I care about is hurting and I feel so helpless.
I agree that this will bring our family together even more, and I'm so grateful that we have the church teachings to help us all through this.

mills5 said...

You know that you have people around you who love you and will pray for you and your mom and your whole family. Love you Sara, keep us posted.

c said...

So sorry to hear about your difficult news. Your mom and your family will be in our prayers.
I've heard great things about that book. No doubt it will be one of our club's picks soon.

Tags

1st day of school 2013 2014 2015 2016 4th of July 6th grade 6th grade valentine party 8th Activity days day camp Annie Anniversary April Aquarium archery Asher Asher's birthday August awards night backpacking ballroom ballroom dance band band concert baptism basement finished basketball Bean Museum Bear World beauty and the beast Bingo for Books birthday birthdays books Boys Night braces breakfast broken arm broken nose BYU football cabelas camping Charlie chicks children china China vacation choir christmas church clap out Clear Creek cornbellys crazy hair day cub scouts daddy mommy kid dates dance festival date nights dino museum Easter eggs family Father's day February field day firepit fireworks fishing foam day frog from cumorahs hill Frontrunner funnies gingerbread houses girls camp Grandparents gymnastics haircuts halloween hannah Hannah's birthday hapkido health High School Musical 2 High Uintahs hope of america indoor soccer Jackson Hole Jake Carolyn Anniversary January Jax Jeppson family jeremiah johnson JJ Jordan River parkway july June kids Lance Lance Madigan lasik last day of school legacy center legos Lehi Arts Council Lehi Roundup parade Lehi Roundup Rodeo Libby Living Planet Aquarium March May memorial day Mexico Vacation Mother's day Mouse movies Museum of Natural Curiosity musical theater new years ordination pack meeting palisades Payson Lakes payson temple pedicure pets Photos pinewood derby Pioneer day pool pool party preschool Princess Academy play Princess Ball PTA rain read across america recess relief society meeting reviews robotics s'mores Sand Hollow santa Sara school school graduation school year Schoolhouse rock science fair scout camp scouts scrapbooking Shrek sickies smores snow soccer spanish fork lights St. George St. Patricks Day state fair StemFest student of the month summer summer reading surgery swim lessons swimming swimming lessons swingset temple temple square thanksgiving timp cave Tracy Aviary traflga train show travel trip vacation valentines day veterans day work Yellowstone Zellers zoo