I had a "proud of my kid" moment this morning while (of all things)
cleaning out Hannah's back pack. I have to back up and tell the
beginning of the story first though. It all started with me being
behind schedule in getting the teacher gifts together for the kids to
give out. So there it was the last day before the Christmas break
around lunch time and I arrived at the school with the gifts. JJ's
class was just coming in from recess so I handed his teacher's gift to
him, gave him a hug and sent him on his way. Hannah's class was still
in the middle of recess so I tracked her down out on the grassy
playground. As I approached I saw something that made me physically
ill. Hannah and another one of her friends were pushing and shoving
another little girl away from their group. They were yelling at her and
telling her to go away. I was stunned. I had never seen Hannah act
that way before - normally she is the most sensitive to other peoples
feelings. As I walked the rest of the way over I saw the little girl
sit down on the grass and cry. It broke my heart not only for her but
for the horror I felt at watching Hannah treat that girl the way I was
treated all of my elementary school years. All the pain from those
memories came rushing back. I made the decision right then and there
that Hannah would know for sure that was NOT ok and that she would never
want to do that to anyone again. First I stopped what was happening
then I let all of the kids in Hannah's group know that what they were
doing or watching happen was NOT ok and that I never wanted to see that
happen again. Then I checked on the little girl. After seeing that she was ok I took Hannah
back in to the school explaining to her along the way that there are
consequences for that kind of behavior and that I was really surprised
to see her do that because it is not the way that she normally she is. I
reminded her that it is her nature to be sensitive to the feelings of
others not unkind and mean. First we found her teacher and I had Hannah
explain what she did. Her teacher expressed similar things to what I
said. I told the teacher that I didn't want Hannah to participate in
the class Christmas party. I think that her teacher thought that was
harsh but I know Hannah well enough that I knew that very little else
would make a big impression on her (pulling tickets is the normal class
discipline method). Next we visited with the principal. I felt a
little guilty about taking the principal's time over this but I knew that
it would make a BIG impression on Hannah because our principal is a bit
intimidating. Again I had Hannah explain what she had done. At first
she didn't want to and said that she didn't know. The principal called
her on that little falsehood and Hannah finally opened up and admitted
what she had done. The principal then had her come and stand by her -
held her hands and looked her in the eyes and talked about how we don't
do things like that at our school and how she was sure that isn't
something that Hannah normally does. She told her that she was sure she
was sorry and that she would do her best to make it right. They talked
about what Hannah could do to make it right. The principal actually thanked me as we were leaving for bringing her in. After that we had
Christmas break and although I reminded Hannah 2 weeks later I wondered if
because of the long time lapse if she would remember what she committed
to do to make it right. Then frankly I forgot all about it what with
getting ready for Hannah's baptism this week and getting back into the
swing of routine. This morning I opened up her back pack to clean it
out and I pulled out some papers. The first was a picture she had
drawn of all her friends together including the little girl she was mean
to. Next I pulled out a note that the little girl had made for Hannah
saying thank you to Hannah for being so nice to her this week. It also
said that she was sad that she would be moving soon because she would
miss Hannah. I got really choked up and I turned to show Hannah what I
had been looking at and she just smiled at me and said that she had
played with the little girl at every recess this week and so had her
other friends. I could tell that she felt really good about the choice
she had made to be kind even though it took some courage to say sorry
and try to make friends with the little girl. This experience really
inspired me to look at some of the choices I make every day - do I
choose to be brave enough to say I am sorry when I have hurt someone? I
admit - not always. I am so grateful for the things my kids teach
me. They truly bless my life.

1 comment:
Wow, Sara, I know you aren't fishing for complements, but you've got to know you are a very brave and fearless champion! Hannah is, too. It does take a lot of courage to do the right thing. I'm sure I probably would have taken my child aside and talked to him or her in private and then considered the matter dealt with if I had seen it happen. And they would have turned around and done the same thing again the next day. I love that you made triple sure Hannah understood how serious her mistake was, and also that she was capable of making it better. Good to remember that we can fix our mistakes. So grateful for repentance!
Post a Comment